Support Frontline Health Care Workers in Your Community
Donate unneeded medical supplies directly to Sparrow to combat COVID-19
By Adam Lansdell
Across the nation health care workers are fighting to protect our communities by preventing the spread of COVID-19 and treating patients — many of whom are fighting for their lives. Medical centers are facing dire challenges due to supply and equipment shortages; but thanks to their communities, they aren’t taking on the battle alone.
In Lansing, community members have stepped up to provide resources to frontline health care workers at Sparrow Hospital. The hospital recently opened a donation collection center to obtain additional medical supplies from the community to directly aid local workers and their patients.
In one week alone, Sparrow Hospital saw over 254,000 items donated, including more than 171,000 non-latex gloves, about 50,000 regular masks and almost 14,000 N95 masks. Thus far, over a quarter-million items have been donated to Sparrow Hospital at its old Eastern High School donation site.
Sparrow Hospital will be moving its donation drop-off site to the Sparrow Medical Arts Building, 1322 E. Michigan Ave. in Lansing. If you’d like to contribute, donations can be made from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Below is a full list of items Sparrow Hospital is accepting at this time. All items must be unopened:
- Disposable face masks
- Eye protection, including face shields and safety goggles
- Ventilator parts from Hamilton G5, Servo I and S, Trilogy, LTV 1200, HT 50, 7200 Puritan Bennett, including ventilator heaters, probes, wires and disposable adapters
- N95 masks, including 3D printed
- Bleach or antimicrobial sanitizing wipes
- Surgical caps
- Hand-sewn reusable masks
- Disposable non-latex gloves
- Disposable foot covers
- Power air-purifying respirators and PAPR hoods
- Disposable gowns
- Hand sanitizer
- Nasal flock swabs (FLOQ swabs)
- Fisher & Payal MR850 wires and heaters
- ¾-inch unused elastic for use as headbands for face shields and 3/16-inch unused elastic for use as headbands for respirator masks. This elastic is the kind used in the hems of clothing.
Items not being accept are medications, food, blankets, medical equipment and other supplies not named above. Donors who request a receipt will be provided a receipt from the Sparrow Foundation, following Foundation Gift in Kind protocol.
For information on dropping off items or for any questions, contact (517) 253-6144.
For readers throughout the Greater Lansing region, additional collection sites that aid other Sparrow locations are as follows:
- Sparrow Carson: Donations are being accepted on the southeast side of the building by the loading dock (East Maple Street and South Fourth Street) from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Sparrow Clinton: The drop-off site is the receiving dock on the east side of the hospital. Enter from Swegles Street and drive through the parking area to the north end of the lot. Use the phone by the door to call Caregivers. Donations are accepted from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Sparrow Ionia: Sparrow Ionia’s drop-off site is the Orthopedic/Rehabilitation location, 537. W. Main St. Donations accepted from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.